Week 7 Discussion
Each week, you will be asked to respond to the prompt or prompts in the discussion forum. Your initial post should be 75-150 words in length, and is due on Sunday. By Tuesday, you should respond to two additional posts from your peers.
This week, you will be engaging with the work of other students through Peer Review. In Week 6, you were instructed to submit a copy of your rough draft to the discussion forum. If you have not done so, please submit a copy as an attachment in a new thread with your name as the subject.
This week, you will need to read and respond to at least two other students’ essays and provide them feedback. These responses must include the Peer Review rubric. Use the rubric to provide constructive feedback, incorporating specific, positive remarks as well as helpful suggestions so your peers can see you genuinely evaluated their rough draft.
Your peer reviews should be posted as a response in each student author’s thread.
There are two key things to remember when commenting:
First, avoid giving one sentence answers. Provide positive, detailed feedback as well as constructive criticism. Remember that the idea is to support your classmates’ and let them know what they are doing well as well as what could be improved. Also, focus on the larger issues with the essay (content, structure, organization, use of sources, arguments, thesis, etc.) rather than smaller issues, like editing or proofreading.
Second, please make sure to include a copy of the rubric for each student in your response (filled out in its entirety as you might grade the essay as it is now). This should be included in your response.
A few other reminders:
- Submit your paper by Sunday. Respond to two of your classmates’ papers by Tuesday.
- Select at least one essay which has only one or no responses so everyone has a chance to receive feedback.
- You are not required to point out grammar, spelling, and formatting issues, but, if you do, give examples from the paper. Focus on content first.
- If you are comfortable using the Comments feature in Word, please download the paper, make comments, and upload the paper with your corrections.
- For additional guidance on giving feedback during peer review, watch the video “Peer Review: Commenting Strategies”
View your discussion rubric.