Write a paper in which you apply the first four steps of the EBP process in relation to the health care challenge presented in the Vila Health: The Best Evidence for a Healthcare Challenge multimedia simulation and readings.
Paper Format and Length
Format your paper using APA style.
- Use the APA Style Paper Template [DOCX]. An APA Style Paper Tutorial [DOCX] is also provided to help you in writing and formatting your paper. Be sure to include:
- A title page and references page. An abstract is not required.
- A running head on all pages.
- Appropriate section headings.
- Your paper should be 4–6 pages in length, not including the title page and references page.
The following requirements correspond to the scoring guide criteria, so be sure to address each point. Read the performance-level descriptions in the scoring guide for each criterion to see how your work will be assessed.
1. Construct a PICO(T) question (step 1 in the EBP process).
- Summarize the PICO(T) components of the health care challenge presented in the following Vila Health scenario and qualitative research study, and write a PICO(T) question:
- Vila Health: The Best Evidence for a Health Care Challenge.
- Carlfjord, S., Öhrn, A., & Gunnarsson, A. (2018). Experiences from ten years of incident reporting in health care: A qualitative study among department managers and coordinators. BMC Health Services Research, 18, 1–9.
- Your PICO(T) question will be the basis of your search for additional research evidence.
2.Implement a search strategy for the best evidence (step 2 in the EBP process).
- Search for one quantitative study that supports the Chief Nursing Officer’s suggested intervention or an alternative intervention.
- Base your search strategy on your PICO(T) question and on appropriate study methods and designs with the best evidence.
- Describe your search strategy, and explain how you determined it would lead to finding the best evidence for your PICO(T) question.
- What databases did you search?
- What search terms were most effective?
- What’s your rationale for concluding that you’ve found the best evidence?
- Identify and summarize the study you found for this purpose.
3. Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the evidence in both the qualitative and quantitative research studies, in relation to the health care challenge (step 3 in the EBP process).
- Conduct a rapid critical appraisal of the study provided by the CNO and the quantitative study you found in your search.
- Consider the research design and methods in relation to the evidence presented when you choose an appropriate critical appraisal tool and complete the appraisal for each study.
4. Interpret the evidence and its implications, in relation to the health care challenge (step 4 in the EBP process).
- Synthesize all of the evidence, including research evidence, organizational evidence/data, and staff perceptions.
- Explain why the quantitative study you found and (or) the CNO’s study contains the best evidence for your PICO(T) question.
5. Recommend a strategy to implement the evidence-based intervention in your PICO(T) question (also part of step 4 in the EBP process).
- Support your recommended strategy with a synthesis of the evidence presented in the studies and (or) additional relevant and timely resources.
6. Explain how health care professionals in multiple roles can apply the findings of the studies to improve practice.
- Reflect on how you and other health care professionals can improve practice, based on your interpretation of the implications of these studies.
- This part of your paper extends beyond the steps of the EBP process to address how interprofessional collaboration and communication can lead to improvements in health care.
- Synthesize multiple sources into key themes or findings.